Entering into 2017 tonight might mean some new shiny accessories for some of you ladies. How romantic!
Before my (now husband) proposed, I would dream about my future proposal. How would it happen? When would it happen? Would it be simple, or grand, maybe something in the middle? Would I be the center of attention? Would I be surprised, or know it was around the corner? And oh my gosh, will my nails look nice enough for a close up?
What I was most excited about was to wear a ring on THAT finger…one that said “he loves me” and “he wants me to be his.” I also (more importantly) dreamed of being his wife. It was something I wanted for a long long time. It was something we talked about. I knew it would happen eventually, and I wanted it more than anything I’d ever had before.
He proposed, and I said yes…of course! It was just the two of us at my house after a nice evening out. It wasn’t on the family trip a week prior, like I thought it would be, so I was surprised. He cried (even though he wouldn’t fess up to this) and he asked me to be his wife. I will never forget this moment for the rest of my life.
Looking back, what I’d tell myself prior to the proposal is this:
1. It might not happen the way you “want” it, but it will be special and a memory that will be held sacred for the both of you.
2. Whether or not you get real-time Instagram-worthy pictures, you will have your ring for the rest of your life. This will be your very own Kodak memory to look at every single day.
3. This moment isn’t about this very moment. It’s a collection of every moment that led to this one, and that will be overwhelming and beautiful.
4. Think about who you want to tell and in what order. There is nothing worse than missing an important person and they then find out on Facebook with the rest of the world. It’s ok to keep this moment yours for just a little bit, and might be worth not running to social media.
5. Don’t think about wedding planning yet. You will have people put pressure on you and literally will ask if you’ve “saved the date” the day after he’s down on one knee. Take some time to enjoy being engaged because this season will only happen once.
No matter how or when it happens, it will be an extremely important question that will allow you to enter into a special season of life and love. Shout your answer from the rooftops and jump in with two feet.
Girl with a diamond ring